Friday, December 7, 2012

When Beeba Trended before the World Ended!



7th December I knew and had remembered was the day a good friend of mine was born 25 years ago. I had planned, like a good friend I would text him at 12 am since he would be home celebrating with family and call him up the next day to wish by singing Happy Birthday in my nasal twang (let's just skip that) but Twitter had other plans for him!

I rarely do care about Twitter Trends and I tweet anything and everything. But then a dear common friend of ours mentioned this to me on Facebook where I had reminded him of the said person's birthday, "EPICNESS happened, he is trending on Twitter!" I didn't believe it at first. I was like "ummm, ok let me see." And to my amazement, my dear friend who goes by the handle @beeba_puttar was TRENDING on his BIRTHDAY across INDIA. He is no tweleb (twitter celeb), no fancy ass photographer, writer, director, social media strategist, stand up comedian, janitor of the UN. And that was another reason why #HappyBirthdayBeeba trending on #1 spot bamboozled me.

This didn't stop here. People changed their names to #HappyBirthdayBeeba (causing a lot of confusion since 40 people had the same name on twitter),  #HappyBeebaDay, Yo Beeba, HBD BEEBZ, Beeba ki Beebani and Just In Beeba (my own twitter dedication), it took a crazy turn. People got inquisitive especially when they saw the top trend #HappyBirthdayBeeba, constant jokes, wishes, leg pulling, one liners, rants all flooded the twitter nation at once. Indeed it became a party. A virtual 'Project B' party that's what I think. That's when I understood the real strength of twitter.

People wanted to know who this Beeba guy/girl/phantom was. KARTIK CHACHRA (@beeba_puttar) when finally recovered from this Pan-India attention on his birthday was overwhelmed beyond belief. He told me, "I wish I could tell my parents about this but sadly they wouldn't understand the meaning of it all." 
#FacePalmMoments
But he knows what it means. A guy as funny as him with a decent following on twitter becoming this rage on his birthday, no, people, it is not a small feat.

Also he is a momma's boy hence beeba_puttar (and no he is no stinky Belieber if that's what you think, his life is ruled by Metallica only)

Kartik, my boy, birthday ho to aisa! Tera pagal pun sabka deewana pun ban gaya. #OkBye

Screenshots of the insanity that took place between 12 am till 6 am when Beeba Trended!





1 comment:

Laughing Jawan said...

hahaha bravo beeba bravo....
Beeba 1 Bieber 0

The perfect tribute for the man of the moment!

Cheers!