Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Death of Conversation

Chatter-chatter-chatter; going on because it doesn't matter!

Tweet, Tweet, Tweet; find you hot but you're not so sweet!

Run, run, run; where are you going? thought you were the one!

Blah, blah, blah; What's wrong with you dude?

Only months ago I was lamenting on the fact that there are one thousand friends, acquaintances or people I have made eye contact with, but there is hardly anyone with whom I can sit over a cup of coffee and talk. I don't want a puppy listener but someone whom I can have a real conversation with. An argument would all the more hit my intellectual G-spot. But sadly that was all the lamenting I could do.

So being highly and now reluctantly addicted to the social media. Twitter now more than Facebook, all I see floating around are random jokes, sarcastic jibes, quirky and shocking one-liners, sheepherding of humour as I would like to call it. One original guy leads the way for the herd of hundreds of followers to imitate him. Since short-lived and quick appreciation is the greatest gratification in this trend. I personally follow some of the wittiest and funniest people ever and with follow I don't mean just clicking on the 'follow' tab on Twitter, but trying to know these funny and interesting fellows more closely and personally.

But again I am not limiting my argument to just these fantastic comical people but just about anyone and everyone, online and offline. The 'Conversation' being my real pursuit here, I am not averse to gossiping and idle chit-chat anymore. In this desperate need, I am willing to count it all under the ambit of my ever-eluding "Conversation". Time, the real devil, is one of those luxuries not everyone can afford or enjoy. Being on the run is the need of the hour, and even I do oblige. But when you sit down after a long day at work or a long weekend of drinking and getting hung over, you are obviously not left with much in your system.

Forget talking to your mother about your day, forget bonding with your siblings over dinner, forget discussing your future plans with your dad, forget chatting with your friends about that guy you've been ogling for a while, forget telling your spouse how important they are in your life, all we care about are things that are mere distractions. Random, irrelevant, gratifying or combining them all - fun.

Where does my beloved 'Conversation' fit in this fast-tracked life? We talk, we hear and we move on. We don't think (unless we want to sound spectacularly hilarious to the world online), we don't analyse, we don't psycho-analyse; instead we like this spot behind our monitors and we need Dutch-courage to communicate. We want to be heard and applauded but we are not willing to stop for one moment, make time for ourselves and others, we just don't want to have any conversation. We want to embrace randomness and we proudly do it. But in this endeavour, the real casualty is the intellect. And that my friend marks the death of the 'Conversation'! R.I.P.

8 comments:

Kanchan Verma said...

Good piece of reading. Keep coming up new thoughts :)

Kanchan Verma said...

With** :D

Anika Verma said...

Thank you very much Kanchan Verma. Appreciation appreciated :)

Root Murphy said...

Hour of the need... on purpose?

Apurva Saxena said...

I had no clue you were running a blog of your own...Thank you for stopping by and posting :D I am glad you liked my post hehehehehe!!

Unknown said...

great post :)
i think social network is a talking walkin media . . . we have news, but no talks . ..

Megha Sarin said...

Great Piece of writing. In this virtual worked people long for a real conversation. I think it is important too balance both your lives the way you gotta balance your personal and professional life.

love
http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

Anika Verma said...

Thank you all for the appreciation :)